Thursday, May 22, 2014

Service to our Servicemen and Women This Memorial Day


I hope that you enjoyed my photographs of a thought provoking and touching war memorial that my hubby and I came across during a recent trip.  Yes, I know I am missing a sign from WW I,  and I do not know how that happened! My sincerest apologies.



Seeing these stone plaques got me thinking more deeply about the upcoming Memorial Day holiday and how I and perhaps many of us should be celebrating the weekend and specifically Monday.  So I jotted down a couple of ideas that came to mind that I hope may inspire you to express your gratitude to those who have given so much if not their all including leaving behind their own children, wife or husband, girlfriend or boyfriend, parents, brothers and sisters, grandparents and dear friends - to preserve freedom and peace at home and abroad.


Say "Thank You."
Sounds simple, yes, but it will mean so much.  About three years ago I called my uncle that served in the Army and told him how grateful I was for his service.  He was stunned at first, but I could tell how grateful he was for the call. If talking by telephone is not possible or a little uncomfortable, try jotting down a few thoughts of encouragement and gratitude in a card or letter and mail it to someone you know that has or is now serving.  These seemingly small gestures will give a lift to the spirit of those that receive them, if for no other reason than to realize that someone remembered them.


Secondly, check with a cemetery in your community that has grave stones of servicemen or women that could use a cleaning. What a kind expression.  And if you want to do more leave a flag or a flower. You will feel good inside.  If you have children, this would be a great opportunity to teach of the wonderful gift of service.  Service that that person gave for us and of the gift of service you can give in return.

I hope that you will have an especially happy Memorial Day surrounded by family and friends.  And please set some time aside to make it a memorable day for you and for some deserving serviceman.  Please, if you have ways that you serve these true American Hero's, won't you share them with us in the comments section. Until next time, enjoy the journey!  HSH

No comments:

Post a Comment